Allylic Proton-Proton Coupling in Stereodefined Alkylidenecyclobutanes and Alkylidenecycopentanes
Keywords:Proton NMR, Allylic Coupling, Alkylidenecycloalkanes
Analysis of the 1H NMR spectra of eight stereodefined alkylidenecycloalkanes allows determination of the magnitude of allylic coupling in these compounds. In contrast to the trend normally observed, the magnitude of transoid-allylic coupling was found to be invariably greater by ~0.5 Hz than the cisoid-allylic coupling. The larger transoid-allylic coupling may be attributed to the slightly smaller dihedral angle relating allylic =C–C–H plane with the C=C–C plane in the E-isomers.
2. Bailey, W. F.; Ovaska, T. V. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1993, 115, 3080.
3. (a) Barfield, M. J. Chem. Phys. 1964, 41, 3825. (b) Barfield, M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1971, 93, 1066.
4. Karplus, M. J. Chem. Phys. 1960, 33, 1842.
5. Sternhell, S. Q. Rev., Chem. Soc. 1969, 23, 236.
6. McConnell, H. M. J. Mol. Spectrosc. 1957, 1, 11.
7. (a) Barfield, M.; Spear, R. J.; Sternhell, S. Chem Rev. 1976, 76, 593. (b) Barfield, M. Magn. Reson. Chem. 2003, 41, 344.
8. Gaudemer, A. Stereochemistry, Fundamentals and Methods; Kagan, H. B., Ed.; Georg Thieme: Stuttgart, 1977; Vol. 1, p. 46 and references contained therein.
9. Burkert, U.; Allinger, N. L. Molecular Mechanics; ACS Monograph 177; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 1982.
10. Chem 3D Pro, CambridgeSoft Corporation, Cambridge, MA.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.