Alkaloid Distribution in Seeds of Argemone mexicana L. (Papaveraceae)

  • Lloyd JA Loza-Müller Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán
  • José Ignacio Laines-Hidalgo Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán
  • Miriam Monforte-González Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán
  • Felipe Vázquez-Flota Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3171-137X
Keywords: Argemone mexicana, berberine, sanguinarine, seeds

Abstract

Abstract. Seeds of Argemone mexicana L. accumulate significative amounts of sanguinarine. The analysis of the distribution of this alkaloid through the tissues of mature seeds revealed that up to 60 % of its contents was found tightly fixed to the different components of the seed external covers where it persisted during seedling germination. Contrastingly, sanguinarine contents in cotyledon accounted for the remaining 40 % and it could have been, at least partially, mobilized to the newly formed hypocotyls during emergence from seeds. Berberine was only detected in immature seeds and in seedlings once cotyledons were totally displayed. These results are discussed as a possible sanguinarine role in the chemical protection during seedlings germination.

 

Resumen. Semillas de Argemone mexicana L. acumulan cantidades elevadas de sanguinarina. Un análisis de la distribución de alcaloides en los diferentes tejidos que componen la semilla reveló que hasta un 60 % del contenido se encontraba fuertemente unido en las capas que forman la cubierta exterior, donde se retuvieron durante la emergencia del hipocótilo. En contraste, los cotiledones presentaron el 40 % restante y parte de ello pudo haber sido movilizado al hipocótilo al emerger. Berberina sólo se observó en semillas inmaduras y en plántulas en desarrollo con los cotiledones desplegados. Estos resultados se discuten en función del posible papel defensivo de la sanguinarina durante la germinación.  

Author Biographies

Lloyd JA Loza-Müller, Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán

Unidad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Plantas.

José Ignacio Laines-Hidalgo, Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán

Unidad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Plantas.

Miriam Monforte-González, Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán

Unidad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Plantas.

Felipe Vázquez-Flota, Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán

Investigador Titular D

Unidad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Plantas

References

Zenk, M. H.; Juenger, M. Phytochemistry. 2016, 65, 2757–2772

Hartmann, T. Planta 2004, 219,1–4

Ziegler, J.; Facchini, P. J. Ann. Rev. Plant Biol. 2008, 59, 735-769.

Miraldi, E.; Masti, A.; Ferri, S.; Comparini, I. B. Fitoterapia. 2001, 72, 644-648.

Koshiro, Y.; Zheng, X. Q.; Wang, M. L.; Nagai, C.; Ashihara, H. Plant. Sci. 2006, 171, 242-250.

Weid, M.; Ziegler, J.; Kutchan, T. M. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2004, 101, 57–62.

Xool-Tamayo, J.F.; Monforte-González, M.; Rubio-Piña, J.; Mirón-López, G.; Vázquez-Flota, F. Phytochem. Lett. 2017, 20, 300-305.

Vázquez-Flota, F.; Rubio-Piña, J.; Xool-Tamayo, J.; Vergara-Olivares, M.; Tamayo-Ordoñez, Y.; Monforte-González, M.; Guízar-González, C.; Mirón-López, G. Rev Fitotec. Mex. 2018, 41, 13-21.

Cresson, R. A.; Schneider, E. L. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club. 1988, 108-112.

Loza-Muller, L.; Trujillo-Villanueva, K.; Vázquez-Flota, F. Book of abstracts XVIII National Plant Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Congress 2019, 163, 226.

Monforte-González, M.; Guízar-González, C.; Rubio-Piña, J.; Carrillo-Pech, M.; Vázquez-Flota, F. J. Planar Chromatogr. – Modern TLC. 2012, 25, 358-360.

Guízar-González, C.; Trujillo-Villanueva, K.; Monforte-González, M.; Vázquez-Flota, F. J. Mex. Chem. Soc. 2012, 56, 19-22.

Rubio-Piña, J.; Vázquez-Flota, F. Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 2013, 13, 2200-2207.

Harada, J. J. Plant Physiol. 2001, 158, 405-409.

Vázquez-Flota, F.; St-Pierre, B.; De Luca V. Phytochemistry. 2000, 55, 531-536.

Published
09-23-2021